Is It Cheaper To Hire Long-Distance Movers or Rent A Truck?
If you are moving to a completely new place that is far away, one of the first questions that comes up is whether you should hire a moving company or do the move all by yourself. Some people might take price into account, and ask themselves: “Is it cheaper to hire long-distance movers or rent a truck?” The short answer: it is cheaper to rent a truck. However, renting a truck might not always be the best idea. Best Long Distance Movers can sometimes be a safer and a better option when moving. So, the real question here is: which is better, hiring movers or renting a truck? We have created a list of pros and cons to help you pick the best option for yourself and your needs!
Is it cheaper to hire long-distance movers or rent a truck?
We have already mentioned that renting a truck will be cheaper, but how much? Well, for starters, renting a truck for a local move will cost you around 500 dollars. For short-distance moves, this is an excellent option as the price of renting a truck is way cheaper than hiring movers. However, for long-distance moves, renting a truck can cost a few thousand bucks (usually around $2,000). In spite of the price difference, it still is a little bit cheaper than hiring movers.
Hiring long-distance movers can come up to anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 depending on the type of moving company you hire. Additionally, they usually take the moving distance, the number of things moved, and the number of people needed for the move into account. But what can happen if you don’t pay the movers? Paying them is mandatory, so we wouldn’t risk going to jail over this!
Benefits of hiring long-distance movers
Although hiring long-distance movers is a bit more expensive, there are certainly more benefits to hiring them than renting a truck. We have listed some of the crucial ones:
- Less planning. When hiring a moving company, you usually don’t need to do a lot of planning. Most of the planning you do is deciding which moving company to hire. They will plan the best route for the move and take into account anything that could go wrong. Additionally, they will hire the right people for the job and get the right equipment.
- Safer moving. Long-distance movers are required to keep your things safe and sound. If an item gets damaged, they usually have some type of compensation for it. Moving professionals are usually trained to keep your items safe when loading, transporting, and unloading them, so your items are guaranteed to stay in one piece.
- Packing boxes and moving your items. Moving companies usually have the option of packing your items for you. But just to be sure, always contact the moving company if you have any questions or additional requests. They usually charge extra for packing. However, what their service definitely offers you is loading and unloading big boxes and furniture. Doing it yourself can be quite exhausting.
Downsides of hiring long-distance movers
We have listed some benefits of hiring long-distance movers, but there are two downsides that need to be mentioned.
- Hiring movers is more expensive. If your only concern is whether it is cheaper to hire long-distance movers or rent a truck, then you don’t need to read further. Although it is more expensive, when moving long-distance, it is definitely worth the price. Just think about all the things that could go wrong when moving all by yourself.
- You need to hire movers way in advance. You usually need to hire long-distance movers way in advance, so they can keep track of the schedule. If you need to move quickly, there might be no open spots.
Benefits and downsides of renting a truck
We have already mentioned the main benefit of saving some money, but there is another huge benefit when renting a truck. You are in full control of the move. You don’t need to worry about someone scamming you or stealing your items. Additionally, you will also plan the route of your move and be more flexible with the timing of the move. You can also choose moving locations that suit you best, but might not be available when hiring a company.
For some people, the benefit of renting a truck can also be the downside. You are all on your own. The whole process: the planning, packing, moving, and unloading, you are doing by yourself. If some problems come up, you need to take care of them on your own. You are responsible for the whole move. This can cause you a lot of stress, which you probably do not need. Despite this, if you are somebody who moves frequently, you might already be used to the whole notion, so you can probably manage yourself. But, if this is your first time moving on your own, we recommend you don’t take this lightly and hire professionals to help you.
Instead of asking yourself whether it is cheaper to hire long-distance movers or rent a truck, ask yourself whether it is better to hire long-distance movers or rent a truck. Long-distance moving is a serious matter that shouldn’t be taken lightly. You might think you are capable of handling all problems by yourself, but, when they actually happen, you might be completely lost. That is why you need to choose the option that is safer and better for you and your needs. Renting a truck should only be done if you are a thousand percent confident in your abilities and if you are already familiar with the whole notion of moving.